Re: dhclient trashes my resolv.conf

From: Oliver Lehmann <lehmann_at_ans-netz.de>
Date: Wed, 27 Oct 2004 23:33:09 +0200
Gregory Neil Shapiro wrote:

> > that looks more like a hack than a clear solution (and I didn't tested
> > it)
>
> I personally disagree.  IMHO, the whole reason for that function is
> so users can override it (my setup prevents rewrites if the DNS servers
> haven't changed).

I thougt/think, it is just there to prevent redundant code (it is called
twice in dhclient-script).

I think sth. like that in /sbin/dhclient-script would be nice (if there is
no other way to disable - oh yeah, there is chflags schg /etc/resolv.conf)

. /etc/rc.subr
load_rc_config dhclient

make_resolv_conf() {
  case "$dhclient_keep_resolv_conf" in
    [Yy][Ee][Ss])
                   ;;
    *)
                   if [ x"$new_domain_name_servers" != x ]; then
                     if [ "x$new_domain_name" != x ]; then
                       ( echo search $new_domain_name >/etc/resolv.conf )
                       exit_status=$?
                     else
                       ( rm -f /etc/resolv.conf )
                       exit_status=$?
                     fi
                     if [ $exit_status -ne 0 ]; then
                       $LOGGER "WARNING: Unable to update resolv.conf:
Error $exit_status"
                     else
                       for nameserver in $new_domain_name_servers; do
                         ( echo nameserver $nameserver >>/etc/resolv.conf
)
                       done
                     fi
                   fi
                   ;;
  esac
}

And sth. like dhclient_keep_resolv_conf="NO" in defaults/rc.conf

--
 Oliver Lehmann
  http://www.pofo.de/