Re: instant reboot when trying to load recent RELENG_5 kernel

From: Jon Noack <noackjr_at_alumni.rice.edu>
Date: Fri, 29 Oct 2004 18:36:07 -0500 (CDT)
Giorgos Keramidas wrote:
> On 2004-10-29 15:06, Jon Noack <noackjr_at_alumni.rice.edu> wrote:
>> Jon Noack wrote:
>>> Updated my RELENG_5 machines today and one of them did not survive the
>>> reboot.  When the loader tries to load the kernel, the machine instantly
>>> reboots.  I thought it might be due to using CPUTYPE?=athlon-xp in
>>> /etc/make.conf, but it still happens on a kernel compiled with CPUTYPE
>>> commented out.  I also tried versions of the loader compiled with and
>>> without CPUTYPE; both loaders were able to successfully load a kernel
>>> from 3 days ago but neither of them succeeded with various kernels
>>> compiled today.
>>
>> I am still not able to load a new kernel (RELENG_5_3 now) without an
>> instant reboot.  As soon as I type "load /boot/kernel.new/kernel" from
>> the boot loader the machine reboots.  Any ideas would be greatly
>> appreciated...
>
> Hmmm.  Can you try "boot kernel.new" instead of the "load foo" stuff?
> Does it make any difference?

Nope.  If I let installkernel make the new kernel the default kernel, I
don't even get to the boot menu.  Regardless of how I do it, new kernel
will start being loaded into memory (I will see a flash of the loading
info and twiddle) and then the computer will reboot instantly.

Something changed between October 12th and October 15th as a kernel from
the 12th is the last that will load and I first noticed the issue on the
15th (the next time I tried to compile a kernel).  Is there anything that
went into RELENG_5 during that period that could cause this?

Jon