Re: 5.3-RELEASE TODO

From: Ryan Sommers <ryans_at_gamersimpact.com>
Date: Sat, 30 Oct 2004 19:08:11 -0500
Scott Long wrote:

> 72895 is indeed serious, but it doesn't prevent a normal install so
> long and you specifically avoid the problem.  Unfortunately there are
> no patches attached to this PR, so it's hard for us to evaluate how
> hard it
> would be to fix it.  I probably should have landed on the TODO list a
> long time ago, and I'll make sure it gets on the 5.3 TODO list.  But
> again it's not a show-stopper because it doesn't prevent a normal
> install from succeeding.

I've been mingling in the sysinstall code while I ponder and take notes
for designing a new install program, so I'll take a look at this. It's
only one of the sysinstall PRs that really need to be looked at. There
are a number of others that are open, that I haven't had a chance to
verify, relating to sysinstall replacing the boot manager even if they
specified to leave it alone.

Just in case anyone else has thought about the fix for this check me
here and see if this sounds legit...

Add a block in diskPartitionWrite to check active partitions:
If more than one partition marked active
    Find first FreeBSD partition with a root file-system on it and mark
it as active, while de-activating all other partitions.

--
Ryan Sommers
ryans_at_gamersimpact.com