Re: HEADSUP: Filesystem rototiling over

From: Andre Guibert de Bruet <andy_at_siliconlandmark.com>
Date: Sun, 31 Oct 2004 00:43:08 -0400 (EDT)
On Sat, 30 Oct 2004, Jens Rehsack wrote:

>>> Web-Service(s), Mail-Service(s), Name-Service, ...
>>>
>>> And on each update I had to stop the services, shutting down the jail,
>>> unmount each ro-bunch, mount rw, update, unmount, remount ro-bunches,
>>> starting jails & services.
>>
>> Then this is probably not a good thing for your installation.
>
> Maybe someone could point some usages where it's a good thing...

It would be very useful for a re-imaging system on a shared-hosting host,
with numerous jails. You could write scripts to have an end-userrestore a
jail back to its original state through this mount. In this case, the
filesystem wouldn't be terribly useful, except when re-imaging, so
unmounting all mounts isn't that big of a deal.

I do agree that it would be nice to be able to have one RW mount and a ton
of RO mounts. I would even be willing to settle for having to mount the RW
mount first and have this operating fail if the filesystem is already
mounted RO somewhere.

Andy