Re: EHCI considered harmful?

From: Ian Dowse <iedowse_at_maths.tcd.ie>
Date: Sun, 31 Oct 2004 11:59:49 +0000
In message <20041029123322.GA7181_at_bingo.tenfour>, Dick Davies writes:
>* Andre Guibert de Bruet <andy_at_siliconlandmark.com> [1026 11:26]:
>> This is my understanding of the current state of our USB ehci support:
>> ehci only works with certain chipsets. On the ones that it does work with,
>> you do not want to have a USB2 hub connected (With ehci in your config) as
>> it will not be supported. Removing ehci from your kernel lets you use a
>> USB2 hub in 1.1 mode.
>
>Just thought I'd mention that netbsd CURRENT got usb2 hub support in its echi
>driver last week. I don't know how easy a merge would be, but if anyone needs
>usb2 hub support, might be worth a look.

Yes, the basic usb2 hub support that was added to FreeBSD in August
has recently looped around via OpenBSD to NetBSD and picked up some
enhancements along the way (OpenBSD added improved suspend/resume
support, and NetBSD have begun adding transaction translation
support). There's a patch against FreeBSD -CURRENT at

	http://people.freebsd.org/~iedowse/usb2_sync.diff

that attempts to sync up our USB stack to include the latest USB2
changes from NetBSD. If you've been having trouble with EHCI it would
be worth trying it.

Ian