Re: CPUTYPE?=athlon-xp breaks loader (was Re: instant reboot when trying to load recent RELENG_5 kernel)

From: Ion-Mihai Tetcu <itetcu_at_people.tecnik93.com>
Date: Sun, 31 Oct 2004 21:33:51 +0200
On Sun, 31 Oct 2004 22:28:51 +0800
Deng XueFeng <dsnofe_at_yahoo.com.cn> wrote:

> > On up-to-date RELENG_5_3, compiling the loader with CPUTYPE?=athlon-xp
> > results in an instant reboot when the loader attempts to load a kernel.
> > As the loader will preload the default kernel before presenting the boot
> > prompt, there is a reboot before you even get to the boot prompt...  The
> > end result is an unworkable install.  I do not see this issue on my
> > Pentium III and Pentium IV systems (using "p3" and "p4" for CPUTYPE,
> > respectively), although there is a similar problem reported on a Pentium M
> > (have not verified CPUTYPE is being used, however).
> >
> > I first noticed this issue on October 15th.  My previous build on October
> > 12th worked fine.  At the time I was tracking RELENG_5, but prior to that
> > I was tracking HEAD.
> >
> > If other folks with Athlon XPs (or Pentium Ms) could give this a shot that
> > would be great.  It would be good to know if it's a real problem or just
> > my system.
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Jon
> seems like:  (I use DV get something, but not clear,  then i found the
> message in dfbsd news, so put it here)
>
> BTX loader 1.00 BTX version is 1.01
> Console: internal video/keyboard

[ ... ]

I have seen this but not with reboots, just stuck at various stages last
month; but some time it got away after turning off the floppy from bios
and another time after paying with bios settings (e.g. relaxing them -
don't ask what exactly) .

However this seems to work OK:
FreeBSD 5.3-STABLE #9: Wed Oct 27 19:45:39

--
IOnut
Unregistered ;) FreeBSD "user"