Re: Supported ATA RAID controller

From: Søren Schmidt <sos_at_DeepCore.dk>
Date: Sun, 31 Oct 2004 22:28:43 +0100
Mike Jakubik wrote:
> Where can i find a list of supported software ATA RAID (on motherboard
> chipsets) controllers for FreeBSD 5.3? I checked the hardware notes for
> 5.3-RC2 but there is nothing specific, the man page for ata is not too
> clear either, and there is no man page for ar. Can someone point me to the
> right resource?

The only one with true FreeBSD support is Promise. The nextbest bet is
Highpoint but they changed formats a few times lately I'm not sure about
those. RAID5 modes are not supported on any of them though.

For other chipsets the matter gets moru fuzzy, most of those chipsets
doesn't come from the factory with a softraid soultion, so makers pull
thier own or gets LSI or Adaptec to roll one. Needless to say its can be
a mess to support, and so far only LSI in an older format is supported.

That said, I have support for SiI, LSI new format, Adaptec HostRAID and
Intel in the works, but its not officially supported yet and needs more
testing and polishing before it gets there...

At any rate, if you dont need to boot from a RAID0 (striped) array, any
ATA controller (without RAID "features") will do with atacontrol.

--

-Søren