rE: 5.3 RC1 CD Boot

From: Brendon <brendon.humphrey_at_comcast.net>
Date: Sun, 31 Oct 2004 12:50:50 -0800
All,

What I suspect has happened is that sometime since 5.2.1 the ATA subsystem has
started using DMA with ATAPI devices by default. I just put 5.3 RC1 on my
laptop last night by booting with a 5.2.1 CD and using the 5.3 cd has the
media source.

Once the OS was installed, I was still unable to read any CDs (MEDIA_SENSE_BIG
error or something similar). I saw Soeren advising someone to set
hw.ata.atapi_dma=0 in loader.conf in a somewhat releated post. Doing this
worked for me.

I wonder whether there is a way to do this with the Install CD?

Perhaps 4.3 should be released with atapi_dma disabled by default to cater for
those of use with flaky hardware?

Aside from that, 5.3 RC1 feels slick on my Compaq Presario 2105. Very nice job
guys.

Brendon