RE: how 'supported' are 3ware Escalade controllers?

From: Darren Pilgrim <dmp_at_bitfreak.org>
Date: Tue, 31 Aug 2004 23:40:39 -0700
> From: Brian Reichert
>
> I'm speccing a budget RAID fileserver, and stumbled across some
> interesting prospects.
>
> This page describes a eight-channel ATA RAID card, the 7506-8:
>
>   <http://www.3ware.com/products/parallel_ata.asp>
>
> This page says there is support for other cards in this family, but
> doesn't explicitly cite the 7506-8, and cites some firmwar issues:
>
>   <http://people.freebsd.org/~msmith/RAID/#3ware>

The page says that other 3ware cards use the same PCI IDs, so they will
also get picked up by the twe driver.  The twe man page in 4.8 only
lists the 5xxx and 6xxx series cards, but it attached my 7506 just fine.

The page seems rather out of date, with the cited firmware issues tied
to cards made two years ago.  FWIW, I just installed a 7506-4LP in a
32-bit 33 MHz slot on a 500MHz P3 Celeron machine (i810), with a pair of
WD1200JB drives in a RAID1, running up-to-date RELENG_4_8.  The
performance is excellent for a pair of "typical" ATA drives in a RAID 1.

I had a the "PCI parity error" problem when it was installed in a test
machine with an older mainboard.

> Of course, I'm open to any anti-recommendations WRT this card, as
> well, so feel free to chuck me any feedback...

Quite the contrary.  I'm very pleased with my experience thus far.
3ware's phone support has some longish hold times (20 minutes) and their
queueing routine is broken (longest "5 minutes" I've ever seen), but
it's wonderful to have a support team that doesn't squirm when you're
honest about the OS you're running. :)