atacontrol rebuild, how?

From: Ben Stuyts <ben_at_stuyts.com>
Date: Wed, 1 Sep 2004 16:54:31 +0200
Hi,

I have installed beta-2 (31082004) on a Supermicro 5013C-T (P4SCE
motherboard with ICH5R, and two WD 74 GB Raptor SATA drives, which I
want to mirror).

I know the ICH5R is not a real raid controller, but I'm trying to get
it to work using atacontrol and the built-in RAID1 support.

Using the procedure described in
http://www.techno-obscura.com/~delgado/notes/fbsd-ich5SATAraid.html
(thanks!) I managed to get FreeBSD installed on RAID1 on ar0.

Next I tried to remove a drive (atacontrol detach), and even zeroed the
first area of the disk. After reattaching the drive, I cannot get
atacontrol to rebuild the drive. If I do atacontrol rebuild ar0, it
does absolutely nothing. From browsing this mailing list I see that
this seems to be a problem with using non-raid controllers, but will
this be improved in the future? Or am I doing something wrong?

What other options do I have? Is geom-vinum ready for this? All I want
is a fully mirrored system (incl root and swap).

I could put a simple raid controller in, like the Promise S150 TX2Plus
or TX4, but if I can get it to work with the ICH5R controller that
would be great.

Thanks,
Ben