Re: vnode leak in FFS code ... ?

From: Marc G. Fournier <scrappy_at_hub.org>
Date: Wed, 1 Sep 2004 18:42:27 -0300 (ADT)
On Wed, 1 Sep 2004, Allan Fields wrote:

> On Wed, Sep 01, 2004 at 03:19:27PM -0300, Marc G. Fournier wrote:
>> I don't know if this is applicable to -current as well, but so far,
>> anything like this I've uncovered in 4.x has needed an equivalent fix in
>> 5.x, so figured it can't hurt to ask, especially with everyone working
>> towards a STABLE 5.x branch ... I do not have a 5.x machine running this
>> sort of load at the moment, so can't test, or provide feedback there ...
>> all my 5.x machines are more or less desktops ...
>>
>> On Saturday, I'm going to try an unmount of the bigger file system, to see
>> if it frees everything up without a reboot ... but if someone can suggest
>> something to check to see if it is a) a leak and b) is fixable between now
>> and then, please let me know ... again, this is a 4.10 system, but most of
>> the work that Tor and David have done (re: vnodes) in the past relating to
>> my servers have been applied to 5.x first, and MFC'd afterwards, so I
>> suspect that this too many be something that applies to both branches ...
>
> Unmounting the filesystems will call vflush() and should flush all
> vnodes from under that mount point.  I'm not entirely sure if this
> is the best you can do w/o rebooting.

Understood, and agreed ... *but* ... is there a way, before I do that, of
determining if this is something that needs to be fixed at the OS level?
Is there a leak here that I can somehow identify while its in this state?

The server has *only* been up 25 days

----
Email: scrappy_at_hub.org           Yahoo!: yscrappy              ICQ: 7615664