Re: Re: Latest MFCs break boot on amd64 notebook.

From: Andrew Lankford <andrew.lankford_at_verizon.net>
Date: Sat, 4 Sep 2004 0:10:49 -0500

> From: Ian Dowse <iedowse_at_maths.tcd.ie>
> Date: 2004/09/03 Fri PM 10:05:11 CDT
> To: Scott Long <scottl_at_samsco.org>
> CC: andrew.lankford_at_verizon.net,  amd64_at_freebsd.org,  current_at_freebsd.org
> Subject: Re: Latest MFCs break boot on amd64 notebook.

Unfortunately, due to either a mistake on my part or a spiteful Makefile, /boot/kernel.old/ is totally gone.  I wish it wasn't, otherwise I'd be able to look at the contents of my root partition more carefully.  As you suggested, /boot/loader.old works almost as well as /boot/loader but the old version doesn't allow me to load/unload modules like I can with the new version.  But it doesn't matter whether I'm using /boot/loader.old or /boot/loader.  As soon as I have /boot/kernel/kernel loaded into memory and tell it to boot, the "-\|/" twirley spins for a fraction of a second, freezes, and the computer powers down a few seconds later.

Unless I can figure out how to successfuly mount and run the userland on my root partition by way of the kernel from a 2 month old install CD or a cross-built kernel, there isn't much else I can do.

It's worth mentioning that this notebook needs a small patch to address compatibility problem with the keyboard (it's in GNATS) so that the first probe won't cause it to reboot.  I also compiled out ACPI, which has never worked right.  Up until now, however, the notebook booted up ok otherwise.