Re: burncd(8) usability: why `-s max' isn't default?

From: Holger Kipp <Holger.Kipp_at_alogis.com>
Date: Sat, 4 Sep 2004 16:04:44 +0200
On Mon, Aug 30, 2004 at 08:47:38PM +0300, Maxim Sobolev wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I wonder if there are any compelling reasons why `-s max' is not default
> behaviour of burncd(8). IMHO, there is no point to have default of 4.
> Usually, today's drives are smart enough to select the maximum speed
> supported both by drive and by the medium.

Maybe this should be a make-option for building the port. I actually
like it not being "-s max" for several reasons:

- most audio-cd-player still won't play audio-cds recorded at max-speed.
- many cdrs don't like the max-speed the cd-rw-drive offers.
- many cd-drives don't like data-cds recorded at a higher speed.

at least I don't have another medium to throw away if I forget to
select a proper speed.

Regards,
Holger Kipp