Re: what is fsck's "slowdown"?

From: Marc G. Fournier <scrappy_at_hub.org>
Date: Sat, 4 Sep 2004 13:32:50 -0300 (ADT)
On Fri, 3 Sep 2004, Don Lewis wrote:

> On  4 Sep, Marc G. Fournier wrote:
>> On Fri, 3 Sep 2004, Don Lewis wrote:
>
>>> Would the file system in question happen to be full of UNREF files that
>>> fsck is deleting?
>>
>> mostly 'ZERO LENGTH DIRECTORY' ...
>
> Hmn, this may be something else then, possibly the buffer lookup in
> getdatablk().  It would be very interesting to compile/link a profiled
> version of fsck and see what shows up as the hot spot.  Are you using
> the default value for MAXBUFSPACE (defined in fsck.h).

Everything *should* be default ... I've never modified fsck.h myself, but
do have a -D flag set in /etc/make.conf to increase KMEM_SIZE so that
we're able to increase our # of vnodes, so unless it somehow uses that to
change teh default value ... ?

----
Email: scrappy_at_hub.org           Yahoo!: yscrappy              ICQ: 7615664