Re: 5.3 Beta2 bridging (update 2)

From: Dave McCammon <davemac11_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Sat, 4 Sep 2004 11:03:23 -0700 (PDT)
--- Gleb Smirnoff <glebius_at_freebsd.org> wrote:

> On Wed, Sep 01, 2004 at 09:41:00AM -0700, Dave
> McCammon wrote:
> D> Got the bridging to work after cvsup yesterday(I
> think
> D> it was the rebuild but not for sure).
> D>
> D> em0 - has ip
> D> em1 -  no ip
> D>
> D> Anyway, with both cables plugged in, traffic
> passes
> D> through the box. Weird thing is, the box can't
> get to
> D> (ssh, ping) other machines on the em1 side but
> can get
> D> to machines on the em0 side.
> D> Machines on the em1 side can get to machines on
> the
> D> em0 side. Machines on the em0 side can get to
> machines
> D> on the em1 side and can get to the bridging box.
>
> Do you have option BRIDGE in kernel? Or do you
> just load module bridge.ko?

options BRIDGE in kernel.

The bridge works fine now. Except that I need to
"down" than "up" em1 when it has been unplugged for a
great length of time.
Someone mentioned to change
net.inet.ip.check_interface to 0.
Apparently there was a change in
net.inet.ip.check_interface where, in 4.10, it is set
to net.inet.ip.check_interface=0 and in 5.3 BETA2(and
in 5.2.1) it is set net.inet.ip.check_interface=1.
The above difference caused me alot of confusion when
I was initially testing the bridge to see if traffic
was passing through(I was trying to ssh out from the
bridge machine to machines on the em1(no ip) side).
I have a 4.10 bridge that is working fine so this
change was new to me.

Thanks for your time.