Re: RFC: 5.3 Migration Guide

From: Joe Marcus Clarke <marcus_at_marcuscom.com>
Date: Sun, 05 Sep 2004 20:24:09 -0400
On Sun, 2004-09-05 at 20:06, Michael Nottebrock wrote:
> On Monday 06 September 2004 01:27, Bruce A. Mah wrote:
> > Howdy--
> >
> > I've volunteered to rework the 5.X Early Adopters Guide into a Migration
> > Guide.  The focus of this document is less about discouraging unwary
> > users and more about what kinds of changes users might encounter when
> > they move from 4.X to 5.X.
> >
> > I'd like to solicit a pre-commit review on the document at:
> >
> > http://people.freebsd.org/~bmah/pub/article.html
>
> Nice document!
>
> One thing I'm missing:
>
> The pthread libraries change probably requires people to recompile things
> linked to it if they're migrating from 4.x - users updating from 5.x-Releases
> can get away with setting up libmap.conf (maybe this is true for updating
> from 4.x as well, can some threads expert comment on it?).

Users should really rebuild ALL ports when upgrading from 4.X to
5.3-RELEASE.  Only simple applications that only rely on libraries in
compat4x will work correctly.  Others, for example GTK+ apps, may link
to both libc_r.so.4 and libpthread.so.1.  That could spell disaster.

I would also mention /usr/ports/UPDATING in this document.  There are a
lot of useful hints in there when it comes to upgrading things such as
Perl and X (as well as the recently recent KDE 3.3).  Plus, it would
give this file much needed publicity.

Joe