Re: RFC: 5.3 Migration Guide

From: Giorgos Keramidas <keramida_at_linux.gr>
Date: Mon, 6 Sep 2004 10:30:14 +0300
On 2004-09-05 16:27, "Bruce A. Mah" <bmah_at_freebsd.org> wrote:

> I'd like to solicit a pre-commit review on the document at:
>
> http://people.freebsd.org/~bmah/pub/article.html

In section 4:

    On the i386 and pc98 platforms, a UserConfig utility exists on 4.X
    to allow boot-time configuration of ISA devices when booting from
    installation media. Under FreeBSD 5.X, this functionality has been
    replaced in part by the device.hints(5) mechanism (it allows
    specifying the same parameters, but with a very different
    interface).

Do you think we should add a note about why the change was made?  Having
to learn something new regarding boot-time kernel configuration is
probably going to raise a few complaints, but at least we can explain in
a few short words why the change was made :-)