Re: if_re locking patch...

From: John-Mark Gurney <gurney_j_at_resnet.uoregon.edu>
Date: Mon, 6 Sep 2004 22:58:37 -0700
Chris Pepper wrote this message on Tue, Sep 07, 2004 at 00:39 -0400:
> At 8:47 PM -0700 2004/09/06, John-Mark Gurney wrote:
> >John-Mark Gurney wrote this message on Mon, Sep 06, 2004 at 20:40 -0700:

> >> ru committed a fix for this already...  but it appears to have failed
> >> to be MFC'd...  I didn't expect the change to be MFC'd so quickly...
> >> I'll make sure that the fix gets MT5..
> >
> >Let me correct the record, this change has not been MFC'd yet, and ru
> >commited the fix to -current.  Basicly add semicolons at the end of the
> >prototypes that are ifdef'd DEVICE_POLLING out..
> >
> >I have updated the patch, or you can grab HEAD's if_re.c.
>
> 	Sounds good. Is there a standard way of updating a source
> directory to a different CVS tag? I use cvsup to track RELENG_5, but
> thought I'd seen someone mention a make incantation here to update a
> single directory (/usr/src/sys/dev/re) to HEAD or another tag.

you can do:
cvs update -A sys/dev/re
which will delete the sticky tag RELENG_5, and revert to head, or you
can do:
cvs update -j 1.29 -j 1.31 sys/dev/re/if_re.c
which will try to merge in rev1.30 and rev1.31 into if_re.c...  This
will keep the file on the RELENG_5 branch, and in the future when you
update and I have merged the code, you shouldn't need to do anything
else...  If you do the merge, make sure you start with a clean if_re.c...
(otherwise the merge could get doubled up)...

> 	More generally (and even more tangentially), is there an SOP
> for keeping patches to cvsupped source? This seems like the kind of
> thing lots of FreeBSD folks do for local patches, but I haven't had
> to do it myself previously. I could add a couple patch commands to my
> cvsup.sh script easily enough, but wonder if there's a better way...

I've never checked out source via cvsup, so I can't speak on this topic..
I don't know how cvsup will handle local mods, but I believe it should
be fine...

--
  John-Mark Gurney				Voice: +1 415 225 5579