Re: gaim problem : Fatal error 'Spinlock called when not threaded

From: Geoff Speicher <geoff_at_speicher.org>
Date: Tue, 7 Sep 2004 15:21:09 -0400
On Tue, Sep 07, 2004 at 09:08:17PM +0200, Bjoern Hillebrand wrote:

> I am using FreeBSD 5.3 ( build yesterday with the lastest source ) and
> compiled gaim from the ports.
>
> It compiles without any problems. The problem occurs when i want to
> start it :
>
> ---- start
>
> > gaim
> Fatal error 'Spinlock called when not threaded.' at line 83 in file
> /usr/src/lib/libpthread/thread/thr_spinlock.c (errno = 0)
> Abort (core dumped)
> >

> some detailed infos about my system :
>
> uname -a : FreeBSD finne.localnet.net 5.3-BETA3 FreeBSD 5.3-BETA3 #0:
> Tue Sep  7 07:18:03 CEST 2004
> root_at_finne.localnet.net:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/MYKERNEL  i386
>
> --- end
>
> I build gaim again with a distclean before. The same result.

I don't suppose you also rebuilt all of the ports upon which gaim
relies?  If you search the recent archives, you'll find that this
particular error message means that you didn't recompile your C++ apps
after upgrading your base system across the C++ ABI breakage.

Try:

	portupgrade -Rf gaim

to fix gaim, or better yet:

	portupgrade -Raf

to rebuild all your installed ports.  Change -R to -PR in either command
to save time and use prebuilt packages when available.

Geoff