Re: RFC: 5.3 Migration Guide

From: Giorgos Keramidas <keramida_at_linux.gr>
Date: Tue, 7 Sep 2004 22:54:06 +0300
On 2004-09-07 10:52, Brooks Davis <brooks_at_one-eyed-alien.net> wrote:
> I'd personally suggest wording the "don't do a source update" bit more
> strongly, though I'm not sure how.  Maybe a suggestion to see this as an
> opportunity to set up that backup infrastructure you've been meaning to
> install for the last decade. :-)

Actually, somewhat experienced users can bring a 4.7-REL system to
CURRENT using source upgrades if they read UPDATING carefully.

I've done it a couple of times (during weekend breaks) on my workstation
at work as an experiment, to see if upgrades from 4.X to CURRENT still work.

I have to agree though that source upgrades are not recommended, since
this way the disks cannot be newfs'd to UFS2 and a lot of cleaning up
has to be done after the upgrade to make sure there are no stale files
left around.