Re: HEADS UP! Kernel debugging disabled in RELENG_5 [Fwd: cvs commit: src/sys/i386/conf GENERIC src/sys/pc98/conf GENERIC src/sys/sparc64/conf GENERIC]

From: Brian Fundakowski Feldman <green_at_FreeBSD.org>
Date: Tue, 7 Sep 2004 20:31:41 -0400
On Tue, Sep 07, 2004 at 05:55:29PM -0600, Scott Long wrote:
> All,
>
> Since we are closing in on the 5.3 release, I've removed the kernel
> debugging options from GENERIC in RELENG_5.  They can of course be
> re-enabled by adding the appropriate lines back in locally.  However,
> from now on when filing a kernel-related bug report, make sure to
> enable WITNESS, INVARIANTS, and DDB/KDB to help determine the problem.

It's not necessarily a good thing to disable INVARIANTS without verifying
it has a huge cost in performance.  It would be invaluable finding more
bugs in production, and will likely be sorely missed.  IT's also worth
noting DDB/KDB is broken anyway in fairly large ways (on i386, at least,
breakpoints don't work and even with the "fix" you get panics soon if
you really do try to use them).

  <> green_at_FreeBSD.org                               \  The Power to Serve! \