Re: Idea for date(1) improvement.

From: Brad Knowles <brad_at_stop.mail-abuse.org>
Date: Wed, 8 Sep 2004 13:09:35 +0200
At 12:51 PM +0200 2004-09-08, Poul-Henning Kamp wrote:

>  Anyone up for making it possible to say:
>
>  	date -w "2 days ago"

	I think that's a very good idea.  Could we centralize that kind
of code in a library somewhere and get everyone to call it instead of
re-inventing that wheel?

	Another idea I've been thinking about is looking at a special
file or directory somewhere early in the boot process, and making
sure that the date/time stamp is set to be at least as recent as
that, before the network is up and you can start ntpd, etc....  This
should help those people who have CMOS battery problems when their
system is rebooted and the clock gets set to extremely weird values,
which can make it more difficult to get ntpd in a sane mode.

	Maybe the atime of /?

--
Brad Knowles, <brad_at_stop.mail-abuse.org>

     Assembly to the Governor, November 11, 1755