Re: t40 hints, ctls, and loads

From: George Hartzell <hartzell_at_kestrel.alerce.com>
Date: Thu, 9 Sep 2004 14:35:59 -0700
Randy Bush writes:
 > on my -current t40, i was wondering the best recipies for
 > sysctls, hints, and loads.  what i have now is

I just got a t42p and am frantically researching it to decide whether
to keep it.  Your info was useful, although I think you're missing a 0
in your psm hint (see below).

I'm saddened that my t42p doesn't seem to support s4bios suspend
(although it will hibernate w/out acpi).

I've put notes around some of your settings based on my thinkpad
research, could you confirm that I understand the how's and why's?

 > kernel
 >
 >     options         COMPAT_LINUX
 >     options         LINPROCFS

[support linux-y stuff (not thinkpad specific)]

 > /boot/loader.conf.local
 >
 >     hw.pci.allow_unsupported_io_range="1"

[handle a problem w/ em0, I don't seem to need this...]

 >     hw.ata.atapi_dma="1"

[make the dvd drive go faster]

 >     hw.acpi.disable_on_poweroff="1"

[keep the machine from randomly reawakening after shutdown]

 >     #
 >     acpi_video_load=YES

[support various acpi-based video ops (e.g. setting brightness)]

 >     ipfw_load="YES"

[firewall (not thinkpad specific)]

 >     ng_ubt_load=YES

[load the netgraph bluetooth stuff (not really thinkpad specific)]

 >     ntfs_load=YES

[ntfs support (not thinkpad specific)]

 >     snd_ich_load="YES"
 >     sound_load="YES"

[turn on sound support.  I think that the second is redundant, it
loads *all* of the modules, after the first one loads (presumably) the
correct one.  What's up?]

 >     #
 >     beastie_disable=NO

[do the beastie menu]

 > added to /boot/device.hints
 >
 >     hint.psm.0.flags="0x200"

[tweak the mouse.  I *think* you mean "0x2000", which sets the
HOOKRESUME bit (see the psm manpage).  0x200 sets the noidprobe, which
oughtn't help much.]

 > can i do better?

Anything interesting to say about suspend/hibernate/acpi etc?  Did you
see my call for Thinkpad stories?  Care to contribute?

g.