Re: GEOM_GPT on i386?

From: Harald Schmalzbauer <h_at_schmalzbauer.de>
Date: Fri, 10 Sep 2004 00:42:27 +0200
Am Freitag, 10. September 2004 00:37 schrieb Brooks Davis:
> On Fri, Sep 10, 2004 at 12:31:35AM +0200, Harald Schmalzbauer wrote:

> > > The gpt(8) command should work on any architecture it is installed on
> > > (!sparc64).
> >
> > Thank you, but this doesn't neccessarily mean that I can use GPT to boot
> > my i386 5.3 box to get rid of the 8-label Limit, does it?
> > Has anybody succesfully changed to GPT on i386 (by `gpt migrate
> > /dev/ad0`)?
>
> As far as I know, there is no boot support for GPT yet.  That's
> something I would like to see, but it's not there yet.  Which feature(s)
> of GPT do you need?

Hmm, can I make use of GPT without having boot support? Perhaps you have a
link handy which illustrates the GPT on disk and the BIOS interactivity. Is
it possible to have both, MBR and GPT? I can't imagine.
My particular problem is that I want to have every jail in it's own label, but
then I have to slice my disk (array), because I have roundabout 20 jails,
which makes it impossible to rearrange label-sizes.

-Harry