Re: Current crash with db prompt

From: Andre Guibert de Bruet <andy_at_siliconlandmark.com>
Date: Sun, 12 Sep 2004 10:49:28 -0400 (EDT)
On Fri, 10 Sep 2004, sam wrote:

> After updated the source dated as (09-09-2004), and finished make buildworkd,
> and installkernel, the system crashed into a db> prompt.
> Does anyone had this problem? should I download the source again? I m not
> sure whether I download the source in a bad time or not..

Getting to the db> prompt isn't of interest, it is the messages that are
printed at the console right before you are dropped to the kernel debugger
that we are after. They usually give a pretty good idea of what went
wrong.

Downloading fresher sources may or may not resolve your problem, depending
upon whether the bug was caught and fixed or masked by another commit. In
the future, please attach the panic string along with any messages printed
at panic time with your bug report. You might be interested in setting up
a serial console to capture these messages without writing everything down
manually. There's a detailed section in the handbook on how to do this.

Regards,
Andy