Re: warning messages from root mount until login, also my rc.conf file

From: Giorgos Keramidas <keramida_at_linux.gr>
Date: Sun, 12 Sep 2004 18:37:10 +0300
On 2004-09-09 13:54, Rob <rob_at_pythonemproject.com> wrote:
> Sorry about attaching files but can't seem to put them inline with
> mozilla.  Perhaps Sylpheed would work better.

Copy/paste works in mozilla as expected, but you should probably stick
to attachments for material that the text formatting matters at all,
since Mozilla and practically all the GUI mailers that I've tried tend
to do strange and evil things to the formatting of text.

> #!/bin/sh
> #
> [snip a file that looks a lot like a copy of defaults/rc.conf in /etc].

Hmmm, this is wrong.  Definitely wrong.  The `rc.conf' file in /etc is
meant to be a much smaller file than `/etc/defaults/rc.conf' and it most
certainly does *NOT* need an initial #!/bin/sh line.

The `/etc/rc.conf' file is not supposed to be a copy of the entire
`/etc/defaults/rc.conf' file.  It should only contain overrides (as the
comment of the first paragraph below mentions:

> # This is rc.conf - a file full of useful variables that you can set
> # to change the default startup behavior of your system.  You should
> # not edit this file!  Put any overrides into one of the ${rc_conf_files}
> # instead and you will be able to update these defaults later without
> # spamming your local configuration information.

If this is not /etc/rc.conf but /etc/defaults/rc.conf please read again
the comments above.  You should not edit this file directly!

If this is your /etc/rc.conf though, make sure you trim away whatever is
not needed.  An rc.conf file that would work fine for a workstation with
one network interface card and several customizations for local services
and/or options could look like this (most of this is copied from my own
rc.conf at home):

	# system console options:
	cursor="destructive"
	keyrate="200.35"