Re: PF and FreeBSD 5.x?

From: Max Laier <max_at_love2party.net>
Date: Mon, 13 Sep 2004 02:59:44 +0200
On Monday 13 September 2004 02:36, Thomas T. Veldhouse wrote:
> I noticed the existance of the /etc/pf.conf and /etc/pf.os.  The file
> pf.conf makes reference to /usr/share/pf, which does not exist.  Further
> looking through LINT, there does not appear to be a way to enable PF as
> opposed to IPFILTER or IPFIREWALL.  So, is PF to be available for
> 5.3-RELEASE?  If so, how can I expect to use this under the current
> 5.3-BETA4?

You can build pf into your kernel by putting:
 device pf
 device pflog
 device pfsync
into your KERNCONF. The latter two are optional. Alternatively you can use the
loadable module. In any case you can enable pf by setting:
 pf_enable="YES"
in /etc/rc.conf. For additional tweaks see the rc.conf(5) manpage. And yes,
this is supposed to work in BETA4 "out-of-the-box".

The missing share/pf is a shortcoming that should be addressed.
Maybe /etc/pf.conf should even be removed in order to avoid mergemaster (or
the like) running over a good pf.conf.

Can you submit the share/pf issue as a PR so that I keep track of it, please?

--
/"\  Best regards,                      | mlaier_at_freebsd.org
 X   http://pf4freebsd.love2party.net/  | mlaier_at_EFnet