One method of compile testing WARNS changes on several architectures

From: Ruslan Ermilov <ru_at_FreeBSD.org>
Date: Mon, 13 Sep 2004 12:19:43 +0300
I thought I'd sent this out, because the standard method (through
"make universe") is very time consuming when the only thing you
want is to compile-test a change that covers a small part of src/.
The method offered here will save you many hours then.

On Mon, Sep 13, 2004 at 08:34:02AM +0000, Dima Dorfman wrote:
> When you make changes like this, it's a good idea to see if you can
> clamp down the program to a higher WARNS level. In this case, the
> program compiles cleanly with WARNS=2 after your change, so I set
> that. Setting WARNS in the Makefile makes sure that future changes to
> the program don't cause more warnings. Since WARNS means that warnings
> will break the build, though, it's good to be able to test the change
> on more than one architecture to make sure you don't miss any
> platform-specific issues.

To test with a minimal time effort, you do this (while in src/):

$ make toolchain TARGET_ARCH=<arch>

This step should be repeated for each architecture to be tested
against.  This will take a lot of time, but an order less than a
full buildworld.

$ make _depend everything SUBDIR_OVERRIDER=<bit> TARGET_ARCH=<arch>

(The underscore before "depend" is intentional.)  <bit> is a part
of src/ tree that you want to test (can be a list), and <arch>
should be looped over with each architecture to be tested against.

Example.  To test if a changed bin/cat still compiles cleanly under
Alpha and AMD64, e.g. due to you clamping down the WARNS level, you
do this:

1.  Prepare the toolchains:

make toolchain TARGET_ARCH=alpha
make toolchain TARGET_ARCH=amd64

2.  Test changes:

make _depend everything SUBDIR_OVERRIDE=bin/cat TARGET_ARCH=alpha
make _depend everything SUBDIR_OVERRIDE=bin/cat TARGET_ARCH=amd64

3.  You can then modify cat's sources/makefile, and repeat step #2.

P.S.  The syntax for PC98 would be "TARGET_ARCH=i386 TARGET=pc98".

Cheers,
--
Ruslan Ermilov
ru_at_FreeBSD.org