problems with msdosfs_iconv in BETA4

From: Alexander S. Usov <A.S.Usov_at_KVI.nl>
Date: Mon, 13 Sep 2004 15:28:18 +0200
Hi!

After updating to BETA4 I have started experiencing problems booting the
system with msdos partitions in fstab.

The filesystem checks in the early part of the bootstrap produces the message

msdosfs: Unable to load iconv library: Shared object "libiconv.so" not found,
required by "msdosfs"
: Unknown error: 0
msdosfs: msdosfs_iconv: No such file or directory

I saw this message in case of only msdosfs compiled in kernel and when all
msdosfs, msdosfs_iconv, libiconv are compiled in.

Strange, that it happens only during the second or third boot, and then
persist until I comment out the corresponding line from fstab
"/dev/ad0s2             /mnt              msdosfs
rw,-uusov,-gusov,-m644,-M755,-Wkoi2dos,-Lru_RU.KOI8-R 0 0"
to let it boot. Then it's possible to mount it manually.

Strange, that afterwards it gives you one-two more successful boots, and
strarts complaining again.

Also, when it complaind and proposes a shell to correct the problem, manual
mounts also fail, but just letting it to boot corrects the problem and
mounting starts working fine.

IMHO it looks like a some problem with ld cache, but I didn't tried yet if
rebuilding it will help.

--
Best regards,
  Alexander.