panic very early at boot with -current (20040912-SESNAP)

From: <class_consulting.leidinger_at_daimlerchrysler.com>
Date: Mon, 13 Sep 2004 10:42:49 +0200
Hi,

please excuse if this mails exhibits unfriendly behavior, I'm not the
mail-admin here and I have to use Lotus Notes...

I've downloaded the 20040912 sesnap of -current to install it on my laptop.
It panics immediatly after loading the kernel. The manufacturer of the
Laptop went away, so there's no chance to get a new BIOS. Additionally it
doesn't has serial lines or a floppy drive. 4.x doesn't panic, but it isn't
able to find the root-FS (I think it can't find the CD drive).

The panic (non verbose boot) looks like:
---snip---
[Copyright]
[WITNESS enabled]
[Timecounter i8254]
[mobile Athlon XP 1800+]
[239 MB real memory]
[npx]
pcib0: <Host to PCI bridge> pcibus 0 on motherboard
pir0: <PCI Interrupt Routing Table: 7 Entries> on motherboard
pci0: <PCI bus> on pcib0
[in a verbose boot I see "found ->" for vendor 0x1106 and devices 0x3156
(revid=0x00) and device 0xb091 (revid=0x0) and for vendor 0x1524, dev
0x1410]

cpuid = 0; apic id = 00
fault virtual address = 0xe7136
faul code = supervisor read, page not present
instruction pointer = 0x8:0xc00e9005
stack pointer = 0x10:0xc1021a4c
frame pointer = 0x10:0xc1021a4c
code segment = base 0x0, limit 0xfffff, type 0x1b
                     = DPL 0, pres 1, def32 1, gran 1
processor eflags = interrupt enabled, resume, IOPL = 0
current process = 0 (swapper)
[thread 0]
Stopped at 0xc00e9005: cmpb %cs:0x1(%esi),%bl
db> trace
kernbase(...)
end(...)
db>
---snip---

Booting with ACPI enabled (the non default mode of booting from the cdboot
CD) changes the behavior, no panic and it boots just fine into sysinstall.
I hope we can replace this panic with a "please try to boot with ACPI
enabled" or something like this in RELENG_5_3, since we will get bad press
if we ship without a fix and a tester stumbles over this problem. It's
definitivly a showstopper for novices which want to give FreeBSD a try and
don't know as much about FreeBSD as we do.

I can provide additional information of a verbose boot or debug specific
parts and report back, but I can't download and burn something until I'm
back home (at the weekend).

I haven't installed 6-current yet, but the already installed DragonFly 1.0
boots just fine, so if you need some additional information which I can
provide with a copy&paste (by hand, my laptop has no other possibility to
share data with my office-computer) from DragonFly (e.g. pciconv -l), just
ask. The same applies for information I can get with a "cdboot" image of
-current without installing FreeBSD.

Bye,
Alexander.

--
Alexander Leidinger, Diplom-Informatiker
Class Consulting