fatal trap 12

From: Volker <volker_at_vwsoft.com>
Date: Tue, 14 Sep 2004 18:35:36 +0200
Hi folks!

I've setup a new system to retire my old 4.8 server.

The new system (well, old components) first has been installed using a
5.2.1 ISO image and then has been compiled to RELENG_5 (cvsup'ed at
2004-09-11). The system has been booted using the newly build kernel at
09-12. Until the kernel build and reboot occured, the system was stable.

After the reboot, the system is panicing 3 to 8 times a day. To see the
panic messages, I've set the PANIC_REBOOT_WAIT_TIME to -1 and this let
me see a message like (not copied and pasted):

fatal trap 12: page fault
fault virtual address: 0xc
fault code: supervisor read, page not present
instr. ptr: 0x8:0xc0586e60
stack ptr: 0x10:0xcee2cac8
frame ptr: 0x10:0xcee2caf0
cs: base 0x0 limit 0xffff type 0x1b DPL 0 pres 1 def32 1 gran 1
cpu eflags: interrupt enabled, resume, IOPL=0
process: 33767 imapd
trap 12

While trying to get the system stable, I've tried a 6-current Kernel
(+world) but the system still panics (only the current process and the
pointer addresses are changing, the system mostly panics with a trap 12).

Another time the system panic'ed with: 'panic: sbappendaddr_locked'

On 2004-09-13 I've cvsup'ed current and releng_5 sources and recompiled
(releng_5) world + kernel. The system kept panicing.

Well, since having boot problems using that mainboard (Slot-1, P-III
600, FIC VB-601V, which caused the BTX loader sometimes to a fatal
exit... strange thing), I've plugged in another board which has been
working stable over the last few weeks (Epox 51-MVP3G with AMD K6-2 500).

This system is now up using that socket-7 board but has paniced a few
minutes ago the second time:

fatal trap 12: page fault
fatal virtual address: 0x40
trap 12: page fault while in kernel mode
ip: 0x8:0xc05488ed
sp: 0x10:0xca3f4c20
fp: 0x10:0xca3f4c20
process: 34 (swi6: task queue)

A few minutes before it paniced with:

in_cksum_skip: out of data by 184

Most other hardware components are known to work (Realtek LAN, Adaptec
AAA-133, Netgear WG-311 WLAN/PCI, Diamond V550 AGP). Two components have
not been used for years, but are now in the system: SMC 8011 10base-T
card and an AVM B1-ISA (v2).

The SDRAM modules (1*128 MB, 1*64MB = 192MB RAM) already have been changed.

Are there any issues with RELENG_5 _and_ 6-CURRENT?

I'm running SCHED_4BSD.

How do I get a dump while panicing? I suspect this not to be a hardware
issue (after changing most components). If that's an issue with recent
code changes, it will be a show killer for 5.3R.

Any additional tests you want me to drive?

Thanks,

Volker

--
GPG/PGP fingerprint:
FF93 13A1 2477 B631 E953 06DF 4C49 ADD9 E4BF 79B1