Re: Signal 4 installing kernel/world built for different cputype

From: John Nielsen <lists_at_jnielsen.net>
Date: Thu, 16 Sep 2004 12:55:43 -0600
On Thursday 16 September 2004 12:36 pm, Charles Swiger wrote:
> On Sep 16, 2004, at 1:17 PM, John Nielsen wrote:
> > I use a build machine to build world and kernels for other, slower
> > machines.  The build machine is an Athlon Thunderbird running
> > 5.3-BETA4,
> > and I'd like to upgrade the other machines to 5.3 as well.  I have
> > compiled everything that runs on the build system with
> > CPUTYPE?=athlon-tbird.
> >
> > When I do a buildworld/buildkernel for a pentium machine with
> > CPUTYPE=i586
> > on make's command line, it looks like I get incompatible binaries in
> > obj/usr/src/i386/legacy/usr/bin.
>
> This is not surprising.  You need to set your CPUTYPE to the lowest
> common denominator of CPUs which you want the compiled code to run on.

Perhaps I wasn't clear.  I maintain separate obj directories for each
cputype, so code compiled for athlon-tbird goes under obj/tbird, and code
compiled for i586 goes under obj/586.  I'm attaching my build script and my
install scripts for "stealth" (the thunderbird build machine) and
"neo" (one of the pentium machines).  For major updates I would of course
reboot with the new kernel before installing world--I mainly use the
install scripts for minor updates.

I have watched the build output enough to know that the correct cpu and arch
flags are being used, and except for the directory I mentioned above,
correct code appears to be generated.  The main thing I want to know at the
moment is how I could verify that the correct flags are used to build
install and friends in the i386/legacy directory, since I already know that
the binaries generated in that directory do not work correctly and that
others do.

JN