Re: gmirror?

From: Simon L. Nielsen <simon_at_FreeBSD.org>
Date: Fri, 17 Sep 2004 09:57:14 +0200
On 2004.09.17 10:07:50 +1000, Sam Lawrance wrote:
> On Fri, 2004-09-17 at 09:55, Ivan Voras wrote:
> > Simon L. Nielsen wrote:
> >
> > > It works fine and I run it on my main server on two arrays.  The
> > > manual page (which includes examples) was MFC'ed to RELENG_5 two days
> > > ago.
> >
> > After installing a fresh world, the man pages of gmirror seem to differ
> > from the program. The gmirror program (I checked - it got re-installed
> > by the installworld) doesn't accept commands such as 'list' and 'load'.

If it doesn't accept load something is wrong.. well, unless the module
is already loaded.

> > Is it just me or maybe something got missed in a MFC?
>
> If commands are not available they don't show up - ie. if you have no
> providers to list, the list command won't be available.

Actually, some commands (AFAIR list and unload) does not work if the
kernel module is not loaded, it does not matter if there are
configured mirrors or not.

> A few people have been confused by this, I think pjd was considering
> changing the behaviour.

It it a bit confusing, but it's related to the way geom(8) uses
different types of submodules, but I'm sure pjd can figure out a way
to handle this at some point :-).

--
Simon L. Nielsen
FreeBSD Documentation Team