Serial port activity can make 5.3-BETA4 inaccessable

From: Kim Culhan <w8hdkim_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Sat, 18 Sep 2004 08:52:04 -0700 (PDT)
I made the mistake of cross-connecting two
serial ports to allow access to the consoles
of either machine from the other.

Both machines were rebooted at the same time.

At the moment I'm hoping the guy with the key
to the colo space wakes up soon so I can go there
and save things..

Is there a way to prevent the 'login: deadlock'
from rendering both machines inaccessable from the
network ?

-kim