Re: 5.3-BETA5 Available

From: Scott Long <scottl_at_samsco.org>
Date: Sun, 19 Sep 2004 23:24:15 -0600
Brandon S. Allbery KF8NH wrote:
> On Sun, 2004-09-19 at 22:29, Ken Smith wrote:
>
>>still being worked on at this time.  BIND9 is being imported and will
>>be part of the 5.3 release.  We will add at least one more beta (BETA6)
>

> Is it just me, or is toward the end of the beta cycle just the *wrong*
> time to switch from bind8 to bind9?  Or am I misunderstanding this
> statement?

You have a valid concern, but as others have pointed out, it's not quite
as risky as it sounds and it's something that we really need to do.
Some might remember that it's been on our roadmap for a year now.  BIND8
really is reaching the end of its life and has the possibility of being
a liability in the future, so we are better of going this route.  It's
going to cause a bit of a slip in the release schedule, but we are also
going to make sure that it works as expected in 6-CURRENT before it
gets merged to 5.3.  In the mean time it also gives us another week or
two to polish off some more rough edges in 5.3.

Scott