RE: Will there be a 6.0 Stable ?

From: Daniel Eriksson <daniel_k_eriksson_at_telia.com>
Date: Mon, 20 Sep 2004 16:45:54 +0200
Joseph Davida wrote:

> Greetings,
> I am currently running 5.2.1-Release,
> and wanted to move to 6.0 STABLE, but
> looks like it is not available yet.
> Will there be a 6.0 STABLE before 2005?

>From your question it looks like you have two choices:

RELENG_5
This is what eventually will be called the 5-STABLE branch (and is currently
where preparations for 5.3-RELEASE are taking place). Not necessarily the
most stable code because it is a live development branch, but most changes
have previously been tested in CURRENT to make sure no major breakage
happens. Suitable if you want the latest functions and can afford some rough
spots now and then. Also a good place to be if you want to help improve
FreeBSD but don't feel like taking the risks involved with running CURRENT.

RELENG_5_X / RELENG_4_X (where X is a release minor version, like 2 for 5.2
or 10 for 4.10).
This is what most people with production machines should use. It is the
release code plus security fixes. Just recently this type of branch was also
extended to include (some) critical bug fixes. RELENG_5_3 will be available
around the same time as 5.3-RELEASE is released.

I doubt 6-STABLE will be available any time soon.

/Daniel Eriksson