Re: System hangs on DVD device

From: Scot Hetzel <swhetzel_at_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 20 Sep 2004 09:51:03 -0500
On Sun, 19 Sep 2004 05:23:53 -0400, Justin Smith <jsmith_at_drexel.edu> wrote:
> FreeBSD jsmith.org 5.3-BETA4 FreeBSD 5.3-BETA4 #0: Fri Sep 17 03:00:30
> EDT 2004     root_at_:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/MYKERNEL  i386
>
> When I try to boot, I get (after a while)
>
> acd1: DVDROM <JLMS DVD-ROM LTD-166S/DS08> at ata1-slave UDMA40
>
> and then
>
> ATAPI-RESET time = 50us
> ATAPI-RESET time = 180us
>
> endlessly repeated.  I can only boot the system after unplugging the DVD
> drive.
>
> Any suggestions?

My CD-ROM drive will hang the system when booted from a kernel with no
debugging options enabled.  Try booting a kernel with the following
debugging options enabled.

makeoptions     DEBUG=-g                # Build kernel with gdb(1) debug symbols

# Debugging for use in -current
 options         KDB                     # Enable kernel debugger support.
 options         DDB                     # Support DDB.
 options         GDB                     # Support remote GDB.
 options         INVARIANTS              # Enable calls of extra
sanity checking
 options         INVARIANT_SUPPORT       # Extra sanity checks of
internal structures, required by INVARIANTS
 options         WITNESS                 # Enable checks to detect
deadlocks and cycles
 options         WITNESS_SKIPSPIN        # Don't run witness on
spinlocks for speed