Re: race between geom and root mount

From: Pawel Jakub Dawidek <pjd_at_FreeBSD.org>
Date: Tue, 21 Sep 2004 13:08:02 +0200
On Tue, Sep 21, 2004 at 10:28:31AM +0200, Poul-Henning Kamp wrote:
+> >I've a patch which should solve your problem:
+> >
+> >	http://people.freebsd.org/~pjd/patches/root_mount.patch
+> >
+> >but it is not going to be committed, as phk asked me to hold on, he will
+> >provide some more complete solution.
+>
+> Yes.  We need to solve this problem correctly, and that has a fair
+> number of issues involved.
+>
+> I am not going to rush in a band-aid for 5.3, the risk of breaking
+> something is far larger than the inconvenience of not being able
+> to use a number of new geom classes for root filesystems.
+>
+> When we have the correct solution, it can be MT5'ed and future 5.x
+> releases will have it.

Why can't we just use my fix temporarily, so gmirror can be fully usable
for 5.3-RELEASE? We can always back it out and MT5 a better solution
later.

--
Pawel Jakub Dawidek                       http://www.FreeBSD.org
pjd_at_FreeBSD.org                           http://garage.freebsd.pl