Re: ggate trouble

From: Pawel Jakub Dawidek <pjd_at_FreeBSD.org>
Date: Tue, 21 Sep 2004 13:18:15 +0200
On Mon, Sep 20, 2004 at 09:44:28PM +0200, Ivan Voras wrote:
+> I have trouble with ggate devices "going bad" after some time. Here are
+> the simptoms:
+>
+> Creating ggate devices (on client machine) works fine. Using them right
+> after devices are created (for several hours) works without problems.
+> BUT, after some idle time (on the scale of 24h), devices just stop
+> working. They are listed in /dev, "ggatec list" shows them, but any read
+> requests made to them (e.g. using dd) fail after a few seconds of
+> "waiting" with "Input/Output error". Nothing is shown in syslog.
+>
+> Ggated demon on the server works fine, and doing "telnet server 3080" on
+> the client establishes connection (I tried typing some garbage into the
+> connection, but the server seems to ignore it, and doesn't send any data
+> back; it DOES log into server syslog that it's confused when I do that
+> ("ggated: Requested path isn't exported: Unknown error: 0.; ggated:
+> exiting")).
+>
+> For the record: I'm using gmirror to mirror over a ggate device, and
+> gmirror correctly detects and processes the read fault, and deactivates
+> the provider.

Is there anything between those two machines? Maybe some kind of firewall
which remove connections after some idle time?

--
Pawel Jakub Dawidek                       http://www.FreeBSD.org
pjd_at_FreeBSD.org                           http://garage.freebsd.pl