Re: BETA4 Vi backspace behavior

From: Bob Willcox <To_at_FreeBSD.ORG:Mike>
Date: Tue, 21 Sep 2004 10:44:47 -0500
On Tue, Sep 21, 2004 at 06:40:41AM -0400, Mike B wrote:
> Jeremy Chadwick wrote:
>
> >Do things work properly in vim (preferrably ports/editors/vim-lite) but
> >not native /usr/bin/vi, or are they generally horked all around?
> >

> You all are right about the behavior of vi, but the backspace in vim is
> definitely broken. I've tried using the :fixdel command and also
> remapping the key with :map but the result is always the same. Perhaps
> this is a bug or incompatability that has arisen in vim; every other
> text editor seems to work flawlessly. Thanks

FWI, all versions of vi that I've used over the past 20 years (I only
use vim when using Linux) had this behavior wrt the backspace key
(backing over but no erasing). This has been mostly on on AIX, ESIX, and
FreeBSD. So for me anyway, it's the "norm."

Bob

--
Bob Willcox             Acquaintance, n.:
bob_at_immure.com            A person whom we know well enough to borrow from,