Re: BETA4 Vi backspace behavior

From: Bob Willcox <bob_at_immure.com>
Date: Tue, 21 Sep 2004 15:28:39 -0500
On Tue, Sep 21, 2004 at 03:55:51PM -0400, Jason Andresen wrote:
> Bob Willcox wrote:

> >>You all are right about the behavior of vi, but the backspace in vim is
> >>definitely broken. I've tried using the :fixdel command and also
> >>remapping the key with :map but the result is always the same. Perhaps
> >>this is a bug or incompatability that has arisen in vim; every other
> >>text editor seems to work flawlessly. Thanks
> >>

> >FWI, all versions of vi that I've used over the past 20 years (I only
> >use vim when using Linux) had this behavior wrt the backspace key
> >(backing over but no erasing). This has been mostly on on AIX, ESIX, and
> >FreeBSD. So for me anyway, it's the "norm."
> >

> AFAIK, the "backspace as a motion key" behavior dates all the way back
> to teletypes, because they were just typewriters with modems and they
> didn't have any way of actually deleting characters on the line.  I
> think this is also where the use of "x" as a delete character comes
> from, people actually x-ing out words on their teletype.
>
> Look on the bright side, your editor may have bizarre commands, but it
> will still work even if you're stuck in the most primitive of editing
> environments.

I actually prefer the backspace w/o erasing the character behavior of
vi. Indeed, that's one (of several) differences with vim that I find
disturbing (using the "u" key for multi-undoing rather than re-doing is
my pet peave).

Bob

--
Bob Willcox             Acquaintance, n.:
bob_at_immure.com            A person whom we know well enough to borrow from,