Re: usb serial port not working using tip

From: Emanuel Strobl <Emanuel.Strobl_at_gmx.net>
Date: Wed, 22 Sep 2004 18:38:30 +0200
Am Sonntag, 19. September 2004 18:45 schrieb Kim Culhan:
> This running 5.3-BETA4
>
> Trying to use tip to connect with a usb serial port
> ucom0, which is connected to the console on another
> machine running 5.3-BETA4
>
> The serial hardware:
>
> kernel: ucom0: Prolific Technology Inc. USB-Serial Controller,
> rev 1.10/3.00, addr 2
>
> It usually returns: connected

See the attached message. Just a hint, perhaps it's related to your problem.

-Mano

> Yet on sending a few c/r's nothing is displayed.
>
> The port on the other machine has been connected via
> cuaa0 for some time and it worked reliably.
>
> Rarely I can try it and it connects.. What is a method
> to help debug this?
>
> Also, after closing the tip connection with ~! then
> reopening the connection again, the lock file is still
> present and must be removed manually.
>
> Any help on this is greatly appreciated..
>
> -kim

attached mail follows:

attached mail follows:

>> I bet you the problem is the DCD, since the most recent commit makes
>> ucom0 act like a real tty devices (rather than a cua device).
>>
>> Can you try adding "O_NDELAY" to the open flags ?
>
>I have added O_NDELAY and 'open' went through. Will it break application
>or three or is it just me being silly?

Hopefully the discussion now on arch_at_ will result in us having "cua" devices
for USB serial ports, and that will solve the problem by giving you a
device you can open when there is no DCD signal present.