Re: xorg & KDE 3.3 startup issues in 5.3 BETA3

From: Michael L. Squires <mikes_at_siralan.org>
Date: Thu, 23 Sep 2004 09:47:23 -0500 (EST)
I've run into both problems discussed on the kde-freebsd mailing list when
I upgraded to Xorg and KDE 3.3 with FreeBSD 5.3-BETA (version of 9/22).

Problem 1 caused the X server to fail with an error message that files
like "Xstartup" could not be found; Problem 2 caused KDE to die after I
tried to log in, either as root or a user.

Problem 1:  the files in /usr/local/share/config/kdm were removed, and I
got startup errors when kdm was called by /etc/ttys.  This was fixed by
rerunning genkdmconf; /usr/ports/UPDATING does not specifically refer to
this problem but it does refer to a related problem.

Problem 2:  The Xsession file created by genkdmconf contains an error
which causes KDM to die if you have a line in your /etc/csh.login (or in
your user .login) which calls "fortune".  A patch has been posted on the
kde-freebsd mailing list; I just commented out the line in
/etc/login.cshrc which calls "fortune".

I don't know when these two problems started, since I've been mostly doing
buildworlds, buildkernels, and portupgrades -a on this fairly slow
machine (and not running X).  They didn't exist with 5.3-CURRENT just
before 5.3-BETA when I was running XFree86 and KDE 3.2, however.

Mike Squires
mikes_at_siralan.org