Re: Plans for after FreeBSD-5.3-RELEASE.

From: Jose M Rodriguez <josemi_at_freebsd.jazztel.es>
Date: Fri, 24 Sep 2004 02:25:08 +0200
On Fri, 24 Sep 2004 02:06:01 +0200, Rainer Duffner
<rainer_at_ultra-secure.de> wrote:

> Am Fr, den 24.09.2004 schrieb Jose M Rodriguez um 1:38:
>> On Thu, 23 Sep 2004 17:51:17 +0200, Benjamin Lutz <benlutz_at_datacomm.ch>
>> wrote:
>>
>> > Hello,

>> > Hm... I really like FreeBSD's way of keeping / as clean as possible,
>> only
>> > adding 3rd party files to /usr/X11R6 an /usr/local. What about
>> > /usr/X11R6/etc? Btw, this is one area where I think it's a bad idea to
>> > emulate Linux, most Linux's /etc dirs are a mess.
>> >

>> I must disagree with this.
>>
>> A port must install from tarball under his ${PREFIX}.
>> If it have anything else to do, it must use pkg-install.
>> But it may obey config out of ${PREFIX}
>> In fact, several ports obey config out of ${PREFIX} via rc-subr.
>

> That's true. I'd also like to know why that was implemented this way.

I think that it get you good 'deployment mechanics'.

>> The use of ${PREFIX}/etc as the only point of control may get
>> you more problems that expected:
>>
>>    - You can't share ${PREFIX} among machines with differents setups.
>
> Indeed you can't.
> But last time I did this (admittedly, this was when 3.x was stable...),
> you just had to have different configurations on the server and use
> different automounter-configs on the client. That way, the client always
> got the right configuration, provided the amd-config was right in the
> first place.
> If you have a *local* XF86Config, you just shift the problem (can't
> share) from the server to the client. It becomes a distribution-problem.
>
>>    - You get a very sparse config system.
>
> Not really, /etc, /usr/local/etc and /usr/X11R6/etc.

And in several others like /usr/local/share/config, /usr/local/jdk,
/usr/local/private ...

I'm not sure it is so good or so bad.

But I'm sure that Unix trends towards joint machine config under /etc
where possible or convenient.

And that is not good be so rigid with those things.  All this only have
pros and cons.

>> 	+ Most difficult to secure.
>> 	+ Most difficult to automate.
>

> I can't see why. One is more difficult to automate than the other.

There aren't proven rules,  only time after and admin console.

--
   josemi