Re: Xorg Packages on 5.3-beta5

From: Joshua Tinnin <krinklyfig_at_spymac.com>
Date: Fri, 24 Sep 2004 16:29:33 -0700
On Friday 24 September 2004 03:53 pm, Ken Smith
<kensmith_at_cse.buffalo.edu> wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 24, 2004 at 04:43:34PM -0400, Garance A Drosihn wrote:
> > So it might be nicer to have cvsup-without-gui on the CD's, and not
> > include the package for the full-blown cvsup, just to avoid the
> > dependency on X.
>
> Well, if you make the assumption we'd have this fixed for the release
> then it's only nicer if nobody actually likes or uses the GUI.  I
> have never felt qualified to judge that,

Well, fwiw I used cvsup with the gui once, and that was the first time I
used it (when I was a true newbie - have only used fbsd since this
spring). I find it much easier and more flexible without it, and I'm
one of those people who likes to have a gui email client.

> lots of other interesting
> things wind up having the same dependencies on X (meaning odds are
> high you'll wind up needing the X stuff anyway), etc.  I'm not
> looking forward to yet another bikeshed about something like this.
>
> But...  I'm inclined to leave it as-is.  On the release it should
> be fixed and newbie users might find the picture-drawing capabilities
> fun/cool while more hardcore users know how to deal with getting what
> they want (and it's been this way for a while so they've had lots
> of practice).  If there are strong opposing views ...

My view isn't a strong opposing one, but again I never used cvsup with
the gui except the first time, and it wasn't useful - this becomes more
apparent when it's used in an automated process like a cron job, which
I'd posit is more common than people using the gui.

- jt