Re: Sound performance problems in FreeBSD

From: Ryan Freeman <ryan_at_slipgate.org>
Date: Sat, 25 Sep 2004 20:02:57 -0700
On Sat, Sep 25, 2004 at 07:59:56PM -0700, Sean McNeil wrote:
> On Sat, 2004-09-25 at 19:53, Ryan Freeman wrote:
> > hello, sorry to drag up a slightly outdated topic, but i just installed 5.3beta5
> > and i'm having the same issue. the last time i used freebsd was back in march at
> > version 5.2 and 5.2.1. the issue existed then too, hence trying out 5.3beta5 now
> > see if it was gone. while it isn't gone, i'm glad to see people are finally
> > +noticing
> > the problem as more than just "oh your hardware must be faulty". i ran the
> > +following:
> >
> > > An easy way to reproduce these
> > > skips is to run `while true; do sysctl vm.vmtotal; done`, while
> > > playing an mp3.
> >
> > and i get the nice "person being removed from the matrix" effect. haven't yet
> > +tried
> > the patch, but i want to get on that asap. can anyone else verify that the patch
> > works? and furthermore, is it going to be worked into the freebsd source
> > +post-haste? ;) thanks,
> >
> > - ryan
> >
> > hardware includes: athlon xp 1900+, 768mb DDR, sblive 5.1.
>
> What patch are you referring to?  I've had very poor playback on my
> amd64 machine with esd for a long time.  If I use xmms or something like
> it and have it go directly to the OSS driver instead of through esd then
> I have no issues at all.

sorry for the massive spam of the same message, i was having sendmail issues :/
i thought i had cleared out the queue while i was playing around but nope, it
backed right up. ANYWAY,

the patch i'm referring to is the one talked about here:

http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-current/2004-September/036528.html
and here:
http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-current/2004-September/037045.html

thanks,