Re: Sound performance problems in FreeBSD

From: Ryan Freeman <ryan_at_slipgate.org>
Date: Sun, 26 Sep 2004 04:46:23 -0700
On Sun, Sep 26, 2004 at 01:42:25PM +0930, Daniel O'Connor wrote:
> On Sun, 26 Sep 2004 12:23, Ryan Freeman wrote:
> >
> > +following:
> > > An easy way to reproduce these
> > > skips is to run `while true; do sysctl vm.vmtotal; done`, while
> > > playing an mp3.
>
> I suspect that sysctl involves doing lots of locking and will do weird
> things..
> Does it happen if you run a CPU using userland proc inseadt?

The problem is, it isn't just that sysctl command that does it. I find that
even running gkrellm makes the ticking worse. if i close gkrellm, it reduces
the ticks/sound stretches. that sysctl was just an easy way to make the problem
_really_ stand out it seems. iirc when i was using 5.2.1 i found that just
disabling the proc chart in gkrellm seemed to help a lot. haven't bothered to
try it now.

- ryan