Re: ACPI on Tyan Thunder K7

From: Søren Schmidt <sos_at_DeepCore.dk>
Date: Sun, 26 Sep 2004 14:46:45 +0200
Stephen Montgomery-Smith wrote:
> David O'Brien wrote:
>
>> On Thu, Sep 23, 2004 at 07:52:37PM -0500, Stephen Montgomery-Smith wrote:
>>
>>> I have a Tyan Thunder K7 S2462 motherboard running its latest BIOS
>>> (version 2.14).  ACPI simply does not work at all.
>>

>> Define "does not work at all".
>>

> Well as you can see from the ACPI error messages in dmesg (which is
> included in my previous email) a lot of stuff isn't working.
>
> But more than that, if I do "shutdown -p now" the computer does halt,
> and then it switches off, but in a strange way - the fans are still
> going, all the lights are on, but the video card stops working, and the
> on/off button does nothing, even if I hold it down for several seconds.
>  I have to press the reset button for it to start again.

This is a problem on several machines not just yours, in fact from my
experience its a problem for most machines.

ACPI has been in a sorrowly sad shape since mid august or there abouts.
I think the releng team is aware of it and trying to decide what todo
about it for 5.3-RELEASE, backstepping might be the only way to go..

-Søren