Re: Sound performance problems in FreeBSD

From: Ronald Klop <ronald-freebsd8_at_klop.yi.org>
Date: Sun, 26 Sep 2004 15:14:04 +0200
On Fri, 24 Sep 2004 00:15:20 -0700, Ryan Freeman <ryan_at_slipgate.org> wrote:

> hello, sorry to drag up a slightly outdated topic, but i just installed
> 5.3beta5
> and i'm having the same issue. the last time i used freebsd was back in
> march at
> version 5.2 and 5.2.1. the issue existed then too, hence trying out
> 5.3beta5 now to
> see if it was gone. while it isn't gone, i'm glad to see people are
> finally noticing
> the problem as more than just "oh your hardware must be faulty". i ran
> the following:
>
>> An easy way to reproduce these
>> skips is to run `while true; do sysctl vm.vmtotal; done`, while
>> playing an mp3.
>
> and i get the nice "person being removed from the matrix" effect.
> haven't yet tried
> the patch, but i want to get on that asap. can anyone else verify that
> the patch
> works? and furthermore, is it going to be worked into the freebsd source
> post-haste? ;) thanks,
>
> - ryan
>
> hardware includes: athlon xp 1900+, 768mb DDR, sblive 5.1.

I have this also. Machine: P-III 500Mhz
cat /dev/sndstat
FreeBSD Audio Driver (newpcm)
Installed devices:
pcm0: <Creative EMU10K1> at io 0x2060 irq 11 kld snd_emu10k1 (4p/2r/4v
channels duplex default)

I notice a lot of system time is used when running the loop. I presume
system time has higher precedence than user time.

Ronald.

--
  Ronald Klop
  Amsterdam, The Netherlands