Re: FreeBSD 5.3-BETA6 available

From: Matthias Andree <ma_at_dt.e-technik.uni-dortmund.de>
Date: Mon, 27 Sep 2004 12:14:17 +0200
Please Cc: me on all replies, I'm not on all lists.

Scott Long <scottl_at_samsco.org> writes:

> IMPORTANT:
> BIND9 is being imported and will be in the next and likely final beta,
> BETA7.  Users of the named daemon should visit the ISC website for
> information about migrating to BIND9.

BETA6 still has some critical and/or serious bugs open apparently
(according to the PR data base):

1. /bin/sh "unset" is still in violation of IEEE Std 1003.1, 2004
   edition.  FIX IS AVAILABLE, bug has been open for many months, has
   persisted in BETA4 and 5.

   http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=standards/45738
   http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-current/2004-September/037819.html

2. tcpdump IPv6CP segfaults are still open as of BETA5, FIX IS AVAILABLE:
   http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=bin/71453

3. data corruption on unaligned block access bug, kern/60313,
   is still open and unpatched AFAICS

4. NIS is still faulty in pretending users aren't there when in fact NIS
   cannot tell if an account exists; bin/46866 is still open and unpatched

5. default inetd configuration denial of service bug, conf/33670, is still
   open and unpatched AND A LAST CHANCE TO FIX NOW

6. (portsmgr issue) no "yes or no" or whatsoever for my inquires whether
   ports/72017 can be committed in spite of the freeze. It's a
   bugfix-only update.

Please state which of these will be fixed before 5.3-RELEASE and what
further help is needed with these.

--
Matthias Andree

Encrypted mail welcome: my GnuPG key ID is 0x052E7D95 (PGP/MIME preferred)